If you or anyone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER.
For most people, visiting a casino is fun. They try their luck, wager responsibly, have a good time and understand that gambling is a form of entertainment. They enjoy the excitement of the casino, fine dining, shows and other amenities found in casino hotels.
For some people, however, gambling isn’t fun. Problem gambling includes what is sometimes referred to as compulsive gambling and pathological gambling: the condition where people are, to some degree, addicted to gambling. While the results of a gambling addiction can be devastating, help is available for those who need it.
Problem Gambling Quiz : DO I HAVE A GAMBLING PROBLEM?
Gamblers Anonymous has prepared this list of 20 questions designed to help people determine whether they are compulsive gamblers.
- Do you lose time from work or school due to gambling?
- Does gambling make your home life unhappy?
- Does gambling affect your reputation?
- Do you ever feel remorse after gambling?
- Do you ever gamble to get money to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
- Does gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
- After losing, do you feel you must gamble as soon as possible and win back your losses?
- After a win, do you have a strong urge to return and win more?
- Do you often gamble until your last dollar is gone?
- Do you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
- Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
- Are you reluctant to use “gambling money” for normal expenditures?
- Does gambling make you careless about the welfare of yourself or your family?
- Do you ever gamble longer than you planned?
- Do you gamble to escape worry or trouble?
- Do you ever commit or consider committing an illegal act to finance gambling?
- Does gambling cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
- Do arguments, disappointments, or frustrations create an urge to gamble?
- Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune with a few hours of gambling?
- Do you ever consider self-destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?
*Source: Gamblers Anonymous
Compulsive gamblers usually answer “yes” to at least seven of these questions. If you think you have a gambling problem, you may want to contact either the Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey or Gamblers Anonymous.